Freshly baked bread is delicious with or without a favorite spread or toasted. This recipe is one of my favorites, the bread is moist for days and rich in texture.
- 3 cups warm water 110 degrees
- 2 (.25 ounces) packages active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup agave
- 5 cups bread flower
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flower
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cinnamon Raisin Paste:
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cups pure brown sugar
Mix together. If too thick to spread add a little agave.
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup agave. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter, 1/3 cup agave, and sea salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a surface and kneed with whole wheat flour until not real stick – just pulling away from the counter, but sticky to the touch. Sprinkle a few drops of water and kneed for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup whole wheat wheat flour and kneed until smooth. If you need more flour, sprinkle a handful on dough and kneed. Sprinkle a few drops of water and kneed into a ball.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangular 1/2 inch thick. For cinnamon bread, brush cinnamon raisin paste on top of dough. Roll up tightly; the roll should be about 3 inches in diameter, tuck under ends. Place loaves into well greased 9×5 inch pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes. Lightly brush the top of loaves with 2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely.
- Wrap bread in aluminum foil and seal tightly in a plastic bread bag. It will keep fresh up to 3-day and at least 5 days in the refrigerator.
This bread is also delicious grilled with vegan cheese, tomatoes and spinach.
You can use daiya cheese and vegan butter.