OMG! This recipe is everything it says it is–delicious!
It’s nondairy, creamy and tasty. If you like tomato soup, you will love it.
- 4 medium to large Roma tomatoes , cut into slices
- 8 whole cloves garlic , peeled and smashed with finger or the back of a knife
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth stock
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
Preheat oven to 430°F | 220°C. Place tomatoes on a baking tray with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft and charred on the tops.
While tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pot/saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers (capsicum) and potato; cook while occasionally stirring, until the onion is transparent and the potato begin to crisp on the outer edges (about 6-7 minutes). Stir the tomato paste through the potatoes and onion; pour in the broth/stock; season with extra salt; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; simmer for about 15 minutes or until potato is just tender when tested with a fork. Add the tomatoes, garlic and basil to the broth (save 2 tablespoons of basil to use as garnish if you wish); continue to simmer until the basil is just soft (about 2 minutes).
Blend soup using a stick blender until smooth. Or, pour the soup in a blender and purée for a smoother soup.
Sprinkle with extra basil, shredded vegan parmesan cheese, and serve with tomato basil bread https://tastyveganstyle.com/2018/09/01/tomato-basil-bread/ or cheesy garlic bread
One Comment Add yours