As the temperature changes and the nights get colder; typically, our dinner menu changes to a more hardy meal.
With one large sweet potato and a few other ingredients, you can whip up a seasonal savory chili 🌶.
This one is harvest delicious 😋 for a chilly autumn 🍂 evening.
- I large sweet potato 🍠 ( peeled and chopped 1 inch)
- 1/2 cup red pepper
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 2 carrots 🥕 (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can organic tomatoes 🍅 (diced fire 🔥 roasted)
- 1 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili ground (substitute – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 2 teaspoons lemon 🍋 juice
- 1 tablespoon pure cane brown sugar (optional)
- Heat oil in dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes 🍠 and onions, stirring often until onions are soften about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili and stir occasionally for 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, but not mushy for about 10-12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes 🍅, lime juice, brown sugar and increase heat to high stirring frequently. Reduce heat to a gentle low simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add cilantro.
Serve over rice or with crackers and top with avocado.